Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Teacher Who Me??????????

well when ever this option for a career would crop up in the normal conversation amongst our group I would always be so sure that this would never be for me...may be brimming with energy and ready to take up the future like any youngster around me I would talk of being a doctor or join the Indian Foreign Service or sometimes letting go of myself I d wish to be a pilot....but never a teacher...I still do not have a clear reason for that ...we friends would talk of varied things...I guess the normal ones like every youngster does ...love ...career .. money ...marriage etc. etc...one thing I was very sure of at that point of time...I would not work full time after marriage...I have always been a great romantic by heart ..no half measures would do for me....and at that tender age too I somehow believed that I would want to give all of me to my marriage ...no sacrifices ..it was my wish ...my choice...I got married....started the new phase of my life with all covictions and faith in the institution ...I soon upgraded my status to a mother and would often find the days too short...my children started going to school and I started off with odd jobs here and there...all during their school time....I would be waiting for them to come back...make different cuisines according to their choices...helped them with their school work and time just kept flying...most of my college friends were working full time and they never could comprehend that how could I be just a housewife......more ornamentally a homemaker in the present times...I would be advised to consider teaching as an option that would match more to my housewife role...but the idea never appealed ...I never could see myself as a teacher....
One evening a friend of mine came over and demande d a favour ...she was a school teacher and she wanted to help two of her students ...teachers werent allowed to take tutions and she said that she had seen the rapport that I shared with our children ...with their friends and she believed that I had to help her out as I could. After much discussions ,many arguments finally I agreed. The mother of the children was to come to meet me the following day ....well came the evening and the mother came ....along with her two children ..one was in the third std. and the older in the fourth.......that was the beginning and now it is almost eight years as a teacher....and how much have I learnt..it is amazing..I got into a career so very very important and meaningful...I was literally shaping lives...I went into it with all my passion. I learnt I had to be student all the time I was being a teacher ...I neede to learn how to teach the child for every child has different needs and hence the receptive levels are so dirrent ....I learnt that for a good crop the farmer needs to till the soil ...put manure and prepare it for the sowing of seeds ...we talk of subject teaching but I found that people -the parents...the teachers do not realise the importance of working on the mind of the child ...knowing the mind of the child ..they just want to load them with the things that are written in the books-without preparing their minds to recieve it...it is so sad and so shocking that the educated parents also do not understand this they have not learnt the basic skills of life ...they have not learnt the basic teachings of life and so they do not know how to develop that wonderful word called THINKING in their child's mind and so the neverending strugglebetween the parent and child...I set out to work on just that and it worked wonders ...
This journey has been so enlightening ...inspite of the ups and downs that I wanted to write about my learnings ...
This is the reaso why I am here today ......to write...to share the learnings that I got from life...
will come back soon...bye

No comments:

Post a Comment